Maisonneuve is an award-winning, not-for-profit general-interest magazine, published in English and based in Montreal. We are seeking a brilliant, energetic magazine fanatic to join our small but dedicated team. This position is suited to highly motivated individuals who are self-starters, creative thinkers and willing to learn under the leadership of the magazine's editor-in-chief and publisher.
If you are serious about beautifully crafted long-form writing and working in independent media, please apply!
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assisting the editor-in-chief with the planning and editing of all sections of the print magazine (quarterly publishing cycle)
- Coordinating the fact-checking of print articles
- Attending art and editorial meetings
- Liaising with writers on the development of story ideas and drafts
- Assisting in production and writing display copy
- Assisting with hiring and managing of interns
- Assisting with launch parties and other promotional events
- Editing and writing web content
- Post-secondary degree in English, Journalism or equivalent work experience
- 2 years experience editing and/or writing, preferably in magazines
- Experience working with InDesign, content-management systems, and social media
- Attention to detail
- Strong proof-reading and research skills
- Ability to manage time and multiple deadlines
- Strong interest in independent media and not-for-profit sector
This position pays a modest monthly honorarium. The work schedule is flexible and part-time, except for the final production periods (4 times per year: February, May, August, November).
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resumé and three writing samples by 5 p.m. EST on October 15 to [email protected] Selected applicants will be contacted by the end of October and will receive a short editorial test to be completed in a prescribed amount of time.